"Earth’s distant orb appeared the smallest light that twinkles in the heaven; whilst round the chariot’s way innumerable systems rolled and countless spheres diffused an ever-varying glory. It was a sight of wonder: some were hornèd like the crescent moon; some shed a mild and silver beam like Hesperus o'er the western sea; some dashed athwart with trains of flame, like worlds to death and ruin driven; some shone like suns, and as the chariot passed, eclipsed all other light." From "Queen Mab" by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1813)

Sunday 16 May 2010

House Of Cards

The quest to fill the house with more crap continues a pace with some rather fine acquisitions of space themed playing cards and some old random cigarette cards. At least they don’t take up much room. We’ll start with the old random cigarette cards.
As you see they are pretty random. The intention is to use individual cards in various collages with other odds and ends but I think they look pretty good all together like this. I’ll end up doing something with them though, it just needs a bit of thought. That’s one of the things I’ve discovered about making art is that there is an awful lot of thinking involved. I can stare at a piece I’m working on for ages thinking about the next step. It may seem like I’m just throwing paint at a canvas sometime but honestly, I do have to think about it. Anyway, with these cards I also got this lot...
It says on the back that they are “fortune telling” cards which obviously is just nonsense but they are rather nice drawings don’t you think? They’re the same size as the other cigarette cards so quite small. Again, I was thinking of using them as part of a collage and I’ll let Mrs Kitsch have some if she wants to use them too.
I particularly like these ones above. Now let’s take a look at some of the space playing cards I got.
This is just a few of them. They’re from the Heritage series on space exploration and I like the fact that it’s pretty much up to date with drawings of the International Space Station, Spaceship One and ESA’s Planck & Herschel space observatories along with the usual space race suspects. It probably comes as no surprise to hear that I have another set of different space playing cards specifically on the race to the moon, so I thought I’d include a few pictures of them here as well.
As you see, I keep them in a display wallet where they have now been joined by the new set of cards I’ve just bought. No they are not for playing cards with, are you mad?
There was a bit of space (no pun intended) at the end of the wallet so I filled it up with some other cards (above) that Mrs Kitsch got me a while back. I think they must come from some sort of game. They look pretty old and I like them a lot. Space is ace.

No comments:

Post a Comment