"Earth’s distant orb appeared the smallest light that twinkles in the heaven; whilst round the chariot’s way innumerable systems rolled and countless spheres diffused an ever-varying glory. It was a sight of wonder: some were hornèd like the crescent moon; some shed a mild and silver beam like Hesperus o'er the western sea; some dashed athwart with trains of flame, like worlds to death and ruin driven; some shone like suns, and as the chariot passed, eclipsed all other light." From "Queen Mab" by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1813)

Friday 21 May 2010

The Folk Art Of Cactus County #15

Here’s the latest from Cactus County. First up a piece called “Three Red Stars”. I’ve been working on this for ages but I think it’s finally done now. Don’t ask me what it’s about. I recently heard a quote from Samuel Beckett (the playwright not the time travelling scientist from “Quantum Leap”) where he advised a director of one of his plays “Don’t think about meaning, think about rhythm” and that certainly applies here. Actually, now I think about it that pretty much goes for all my work. Whatever. Unfortunately, this photo doesn’t really capture the colours correctly, the blue is darker and there is silver around the little white stars in the red circle. Acrylic on canvas, 40cm x 30cm.
Next up "Calavera With Small Bird" which is acrylic on wood rather than canvas, 24.5cm x 28cm. This is one of my favourites. I think for once I managed to paint the skull I wanted. They don’t usually turn out quite like I plan but this one is pretty close.
Now a couple of small pictures in metal frames. I got the frames from a charity shop and they kind of suggested the paintings that needed to be in them. Here are the results.
And finally for the moment another deer painting "Deer Licking A Daisy" and is acrylic on wood, 13cm x 15cm. I must have a go at painting a whole deer not just its head but that’s a painting for another time. I hope there’s something here you like, check out my Flickr site, you may find something you like there, if not here.

No comments:

Post a Comment