"Earth’s distant orb appeared the smallest light that twinkles in the heaven; whilst round the chariot’s way innumerable systems rolled and countless spheres diffused an ever-varying glory. It was a sight of wonder: some were hornèd like the crescent moon; some shed a mild and silver beam like Hesperus o'er the western sea; some dashed athwart with trains of flame, like worlds to death and ruin driven; some shone like suns, and as the chariot passed, eclipsed all other light." From "Queen Mab" by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1813)

Sunday 11 April 2010

The Folk Art Of Cactus County #11

Here’s the latest from the Cactus County art studio. I hope you like them. Four pieces, acrylic on canvas, all 18cm x 13cm. And yes, those are real chillis.
This one (below) is called “Calavera With 5 Chillis”. Calavera means skull but also refers to other Day of the Dead stuff too. It appears on a number of the pictures I do.
This next one is “All Things Must Pass”. I’ve translated this phrase into Spanish (correctly I hope) and used it in the picture. I’ll use this phrase on more paintings. I’m quite keen on the yellow background and have used it on a few pictures but only this one and the one above are finished.
Below is “Cheque Number #2” the second red, black and white painting I’ve done. It’s much smaller than the first one and the third one I’m working on is bigger than either of them but that one is a way off from being finished.“Todas las Cosas Deben Pasar” appears for the second time in a painting.
Finally this is “Cempasúchitl #1” which I’ve already featured on this blog but I was looking at it the other day and decided I could add something to it. I was going to say improve on it but to be honest I’m not sure if I’ve done that exactly or just messed about with it. Anyway, I’ve added some bronze paint to it and I think it kind of works better. More folk art from Cactus County to follow in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment