"Earth’s distant orb appeared the smallest light that twinkles in the heaven; whilst round the chariot’s way innumerable systems rolled and countless spheres diffused an ever-varying glory. It was a sight of wonder: some were hornèd like the crescent moon; some shed a mild and silver beam like Hesperus o'er the western sea; some dashed athwart with trains of flame, like worlds to death and ruin driven; some shone like suns, and as the chariot passed, eclipsed all other light." From "Queen Mab" by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1813)

Wednesday 10 March 2010

Jim Al-Khalili

Honestly, I’ve got the whole Horizon thing out of my system now but this morning I remembered the excellent programmes by Prof. Jim Al-Khalili on quantum physics, another on chemistry and the best one of all on chaos theory that all had me glued to the telly. This guy knows how to explain science in such a way that even I am able to get a handle on most of what it’s about. I don’t think any of his BBC documentaries are available on DVD yet but they will be at some point and will be worth getting and watching. Meantime, they may be on the BBC i-Player (?). He has written a number of books although I haven’t read them myself (so many books, so little time). Anyway, if you want to watch a decent science programme, then do check out anything by the good professor.

No comments:

Post a Comment