"Earth’s distant orb appeared the smallest light that twinkles in the heaven; whilst round the chariot’s way innumerable systems rolled and countless spheres diffused an ever-varying glory. It was a sight of wonder: some were hornèd like the crescent moon; some shed a mild and silver beam like Hesperus o'er the western sea; some dashed athwart with trains of flame, like worlds to death and ruin driven; some shone like suns, and as the chariot passed, eclipsed all other light." From "Queen Mab" by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1813)

Tuesday 14 December 2010

The Future of Mankind

I’ve been off the blogosphere for a while as I haven’t been in the best of health. I’ve been able to do little other than play spider solitaire and read Tacitus for the last month. Reading Tacitus is brilliant but spider solitaire is not so much “fun” as just a way of passing the time. Anyway, I must be on the mend as I now feel able to get back to writing this blog. And the subject of my latest blog is...Facebook.

To be specific, it’s one recent development on my Facebook account. I’ve had a friend request from a woman in Malaysia called Mima Md Ramli. Here’s her photo.

I have no idea who she is. Fair enough, maybe she just likes the things I’ve been writing or possibly, and this is stretching credulity a little far I know but, she may just like my face. Maybe she just wants to make friends with people outside her own county and culture. There are very few clues to her personality, likes or dislikes, opinions etc available to people who haven’t accepted her friend request, except for one. She only has three friends; OK, it’s not about the numbers, I know that. But all three of her friends are called Gary Smith, which is also my name.

Now, is it me or is that a bit weird? Maybe she likes the name. Maybe it’s some sort of game where a number of people pick a name at random and the first one to get, say, fifty friends of the same name wins. It could be quite innocent. But just perhaps, just perhaps it may have more sinister overtones.

As you will recall, in the film Terminator, the killer robot is sent back through time to exterminate anyone called Sarah Connor, to prevent the human rebellion against the machines. Maybe this Mima Md Ramli is in fact a killer robot from the future sent back to wipe out all Gary Smith’s as one of them, I’m not saying it’s me, could hold the key to the future survival of the human race in a time when machines are trying to take over the world, and she is using Facebook to track us all down. Yes, spooky ain’t it?

Do I or one of my fellow Gary Smith’s really hold the future of mankind in our grasp? Is Mima Md Ramli really a killer robot from the future? It seems the only likely explanation. So future world, cherish us Gary Smith’s, for your own survival may depend on it.

And as for the killer robot from the future’s Facebook friend request...request denied.

If you, dear reader, are not a killer robot from the future and intend me no harm of any kind and would like to have me as a friend on your Facebook account, then please go here and put in a friend request. If you are a killer robot from the future trying to wipe out all Gary Smiths, then please do not ask for a friend request, as refusal may offend.

Suggested viewing/listening: “Bronnt vs Terminator 2: Judgment Day

 

6 comments:

  1. Glad your getting back to normal, although your normal is still pretty fucking weird

    ReplyDelete
  2. back to blogging with a vengance. This is a brilliant story. I may try to collect a set of Gary Smiths on Facebook myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is she friends with the Gary Smith who isn't allowed into America?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I've seen her picture before, on a news item somewhere ? Anyway, I looked at Facebook and she has another entry using the same name and photo where she has 280 friends.....and none of them are called Gary ! Don't know if the link will work but if it doesn't, just search her - there are only two entries, the one you've seen and this one.

    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000754540593

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well her interests include: Helping People Make Money, Teaching People Make Money, Develop People Make More Money. Take it back!! Add her!! Add her!! :P

    ReplyDelete