"Earth’s distant orb appeared the smallest light that twinkles in the heaven; whilst round the chariot’s way innumerable systems rolled and countless spheres diffused an ever-varying glory. It was a sight of wonder: some were hornèd like the crescent moon; some shed a mild and silver beam like Hesperus o'er the western sea; some dashed athwart with trains of flame, like worlds to death and ruin driven; some shone like suns, and as the chariot passed, eclipsed all other light." From "Queen Mab" by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1813)

Monday 19 July 2010

Re-entry

I’d totally lost track of the date. Tomorrow is July 20th or as I call it “Moon Day”, the anniversary of the historic moon landing by Apollo 11.

I celebrated this last year, the 40th anniversary, with an astronauts breakfast (orange juice, steak and eggs) followed by a day of watching Apollo related TV including a Sky At Night special looking back at the BBC coverage of the launch, landing and splashdown, including a surprisingly moving lift off in black and white, and James Burke doing all sorts of brilliant astronaut stuff, which was all fantastic; plus an episode of The Clangers (the one with the astronaut); the film “The Right Stuff” and some other moon related programming.

A great day and one which I plan on celebrating again tomorrow with some different moon related TV. But as I say, I had totally lost track of the date. I’ve already been to the shops once today but I’m going to have to go out again to buy the steak and orange juice for my astronaut’s breakfast.
The countdown has begun, or at least it will do when I get back from the shops for a second time today.

7 comments:

  1. I thought tomorrow was Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, tomorrow is Tuesday but it's also Moon Day. Not to be confused with Monday, which is today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is starting to sound like an episode of FRIENDS....."Monday - one day, Tuesday - two day,Wednesday - what day ?, Thursday - the third day!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's correct, he is.

    Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ....and while we're on that track, have you seen this one ?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuE621j50Z0

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I have now. It still scares me that he was President.

    ReplyDelete