"Earth’s distant orb appeared the smallest light that twinkles in the heaven; whilst round the chariot’s way innumerable systems rolled and countless spheres diffused an ever-varying glory. It was a sight of wonder: some were hornèd like the crescent moon; some shed a mild and silver beam like Hesperus o'er the western sea; some dashed athwart with trains of flame, like worlds to death and ruin driven; some shone like suns, and as the chariot passed, eclipsed all other light." From "Queen Mab" by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1813)

Monday 22 February 2010

The Folk Art Of Cactus County part #3

Here’s a piece called “It Is A Pity That I Must Die”, and is acrylic on canvas. The title comes from something I read in a book about the Day of the Dead “How beautiful is the world, it is a pity that I must die” a rather sad but true sentiment.



















And back to painting on wood, this time it's acrylic, a cut up dollar bill and foil. It's called "Win 410" and named for the number on the shell casing you'll find in the middle of the striped star. There are 50 stars altogether, one for each of the 50 States which make up the United States of America. It's not really making a statement, I just liked it visually. I'm think I've heard somewhere that cutting up dollar bills is a federal offence. I'm hoping I'm wrong about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment